Mental health

Rattlehead

I've been really depressed lately (more so than usual), and I'm just wondering...

How many of you have been diagnosed (by a professional) with any mental health issues, or whatever you want to call them? If you have been diagnosed, what were you diagnosed with? What do you do to help control the symptoms?

For me, I've been diagnosed with various things, by several different doctors. I've been diagnosed with depression, OCD, ODD, bipolar disorder, and Asperger's Syndrome. I take Adderall XR, Wellbutrin XL, and Lamictal. Additionally, I was in rehab from when I was 13 to 15-and-a-half years old (I'm now a month from being 18), and my desire to not go back is a big motivator, as well.

Well. I haven't been diagnosed with anything myself. Occasionally I do wonder if I'm slightly bipolar though.

For me, it's pretty obvious that I am bipolar. It's less obvious than it used to be, but I still have times where I really struggle with not getting to the point of going berserk on people that don't deserve it.

Well When i was 15 i was diagnosed with OCD. More on the compulsive side. Like alot of ticks and stuff i had to do ritualistically. It was pretty bad, especially in public. The more people, the worse it got.
First they gave me ritalin to help me focus on it, but duh that made it 10 times worse.
Suprisingly, the anti-depressant prozac helped me alot. I took it for about 2 years and it helped me out alot. I've been off of it for about 2 years and It's alot easier to control.
Obviously most meds for this type of thing only help you help yourself. For me, alot of it was finding what triggered the ticks and try to work out ''logical'' thinks to replace the ticks (usuaklly something less obvious) and then eventually associate thoughts with the tick and replace them with that. Then eventually most of them went away, but a few major ones remain.
But it's different for everyone...

I've been really depressed lately (more so than usual), and I'm just wondering...

How many of you have been diagnosed (by a professional) with any mental health issues, or whatever you want to call them? If you have been diagnosed, what were you diagnosed with? What do you do to help control the symptoms?

For me, I've been diagnosed with various things, by several different doctors. I've been diagnosed with depression, OCD, ODD, bipolar disorder, and Asperger's Syndrome. I take Adderall XR, Wellbutrin XL, and Lamictal. Additionally, I was in rehab from when I was 13 to 15-and-a-half years old (I'm now a month from being 18), and my desire to not go back is a big motivator, as well.

That I know of
Higher-functioning autism "Asperger's Disorder" (eww try pronouncing that?), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and general anxiety disorder
I've got some parts of schizophrenia in me (obviously)--for which one cannot simultaneously be diagnosed with ASD (which instead by my writing style is obviously my infliction). I get thoughts of paranoia as if nature itself turns against me when some really unlucky crap happens (or roughly unlucky but fairly common as if to increase my hostility by rubbing it in that it's not obviously coincidental enough for me to confidently suspect "God").
If in example I learn someone is talking about me I know thoughts of very pessimistic reaction, like I am being attacked. I know it's taken as self-centered-ness, but it's a very negative sensitivity.

Currently I am taking only mirtazapine. This help controls panic symptoms "anxiety" and some depression, but I registered for it only to help me sleep sooner. I used to stay up like 72 hours against my own will (just plain couldn't sleep) and still believe sleep is overrated.

What I want us to summon is that in general: Depression is caused mainly by desire. In instance: Loving someone for who they are frees us of instinctial thoughts of sexual desire and egocentricity. Darkness times for mortals in which we feel hatred/desire/despair (all linked to the same root cause) link to our enjoyment of thoughts of wit/cleverness coming to us naturally...while as humans we seem to do better learning to grow more conscious of our thoughts and subconscious to understand ourselves better and know where we went wrong. Why do we deserve to suffer?

edit I am almost absolutely not bipolar though, I know a girl who so obviously is but wasn't diagnosed, extremely likely she should have been
Bipolar is an important theme in this I think. Following darkness but succeeding we can sometimes feel an anti-depressive sensation of magic, but when spirits such as luck turn down on us we may become depressed.

Last edited:
I was forced to see a shrink for a while when I was 16. I quit going though before he could get me on any kind of medicine. Basically the problem, as he described it, was manic depression. I go from sustained incredible lows to incredible highs. He wanted to get me on something to "keep me level." But thinking about it and about how I work, that didn't fly with me. That would basically be taking away both sources of inspiration to "keep me safe." So, as soon as I was allowed to stop going, I did.

I still go up and down a lot, but it's been almost 10 years since the last time I hit a dangerous low point. More importantly, I have my fiance and responsibilities to her to keep me from totally self destructing the way I used to.

"Manic depression" sounds more accurate than "bipolar disorder" to me.

Bipolar only refers to the observation of the inflicted to be interchangably either manic or depressed "manic-depressive disorder".
"Manic depression" ... there's something I should have thought of sooner. This describes the two as being psychologically simultaneous--for reasons by which medication may successfully treat. Depression has many variants and levels, so I like this phrasing better.

I have the OCD with some bipolar tendencies. I also have some paranoia. I do have tendencies to create mountains of problems, create scenarios, with a small problem. A lot often, I don't give a damn about anything, like I don't care what happens to me, that I'm not worth having people caring for me.

I now take Paxils, I do have downs, but way left often.

My best advice would be this: I am aware that I'll get another down someday, but I also know that I'll have some awesome days. It's hard to be logical when I'm down, but I talk with a friend who is a psy. and or my dad (the psy. is my dad's friend). I'm not ashamed at all of having to see a psy. That's the way I was born and these guys have the medecine to make me feel better.

Last edited:
Well... as long as we're sharing...
Diagnosed with depression, anxiety, OCD. Currently on fluvoxamine, lithium, wellbutrin, lorazepam.

As a teen, with the help of a good therapist I saw for a while, I trained myself to mostly overcome some somewhat Asperger's-ish traits: great difficulty looking people in the eye while I was talking, talking at too much length and in wrong settings about subjects that fascinated me, and difficulty in dealing with social situations in which there were large numbers of people. I'm not perfect in all of those respects now, but much, much better than I was. However, I don't think I would describe myself as actually having Asperger's Syndrome, as I was never diagnosed with it, and the people I've known who have actually been diagnosed with it have had significantly more severe challenges than me in that direction.

Since we're doing this now, I'll bring the third mention of Asperger syndrome to this topic. I was diagnosed while still in primary school (so under the age of 12) and it was apparently a pretty easy diagnosis. It's the only sort of mental health issue I've been diagnosed with and I made my way through a few different anti-depressants before I stopped taking the things entirely (citalopram was what I was taking when I stopped).

"I'm not ashamed at all of having to see a psy. That's the way I was born and these guys have the medecine to make me feel better."
well said
Some people like myself have taken paths to fight it off by their selves as an expected challenge, but in severe cases it is no sin to ask someone you know for advice you should follow. It may seem like a disappointment to God, but it can also be an honest or brave decision.

Well... as long as we're sharing...
Diagnosed with depression, anxiety, OCD. Currently on fluvoxamine, lithium, wellbutrin, lorazepam.

As a teen, with the help of a good therapist I saw for a while, I trained myself to mostly overcome some somewhat Asperger's-ish traits: great difficulty looking people in the eye while I was talking, talking at too much length and in wrong settings about subjects that fascinated me, and difficulty in dealing with social situations in which there were large numbers of people. I'm not perfect in all of those respects now, but much, much better than I was. However, I don't think I would describe myself as actually having Asperger's Syndrome, as I was never diagnosed with it, and the people I've known who have actually been diagnosed with it have had significantly more severe challenges than me in that direction.

Thinking by this post I see some symptoms. The way syndrome diagnosis is given commonly concerns meeting classification by a certain number of what together are a syndrome: symptoms. The reason many of these are part of a collection is because sometimes certain symptoms have special ties in characteristic by which disorders are known for. (Thus "Asperger's Disorder" often indicates socially while "Asperger's Syndrome" is another scientific name.)

We might share a fear in speaking to an audience up front because of anxiety diagnosis, but most non-depressed cases classified by "Asperger's syndrome" have no special thoughts of fear that I have witnessed. While handling sorrow I have seen some people with Asperger's disorder have trouble with conscious eye contact (which in other issues can be a resultant effect of emotional abuse), but I have no memory of any such issue since years. This is possibly because I have focused my energy on uplifting thoughts from subconscious to conscious so that I can be more aware of simultaneous perception on the person standing in front of me. This is also a good meditational practice against some thoughts of depression.

Hello all, I'm pretty new here, but what isn't new is my Mental health. I really don't like talking about my issues because it still bothers me after all of these years. I not only suffer from Anxiety, depression and severely emotionally disturbed, but I suffer from a lifelong Learning disability because of this. I haven't been doing well in school for years and that affected me greatly as I gotten older :crying: . Every kid in school would somehow, someway knew I was different than the rest and they bullied me and hurt me physically and mentally because I also can't read, write and do Math beyond 4th grade. Yet, I'm writing to you here even though I tend to go off-topic most of the time, it's just my way of calling for help so please don't judge me because of my issues. All I ask is to please allow me to be your friend :cry: .

I've read a bunch of people here say they have mental problems and learning disabilities and I think most people doing this are judging themselves against the norm.
What is the norm? Maybe like autistic people the norm is moot. Maybe you all have a gift and don't know it.

I was beat up and ridiculed most of my childhood and it followed me into my adult years and made my life a living hell and I hid behind weed and alcohol till I realized most people are fucked up in some way and hide it by picking on others or just not letting on there is a problem.

Just accept yourself no matter what others tell you and work with your strengths. Mine are humor, a bit hyper, and I can be extremely ingenious if I take the time and think things out thoroughly. My weakness are low self esteem and I'm afraid of group activities. Basically I just don't fully trust anyone.

Now here's the trick. Just follow your strengths and be honest and fuck anyone who doesn't accept you for your weaknesses and don't back down from criticism but don't get so defensive that you don't learn or realize they could be right at the same time even though you have to realize they could be a self righteous asshole that is full of shit and just want's to push your buttons and fuck with you also.

Now heres the trick. I took my strengths and put them into my work by working hard and being a company man. I also found with my self esteem I had troubles with relationships so I did a bunch of research and since I can out talk anyone I worked on my oral sex skills and now I can probably make most lesbians jealious of my skills.

Low self esteem is very fast becoming a thing of the past and instead of working to please someone to win their approval I do what I think is right and when someone says "good job" I don't ask if I can do anything else basically to kiss their ass, instead I say "no big deal" because I know I do a great job and rarely make mistakes because I do give a shit about my job.

Now anyone here that thinks they have a problem just look at yourself like others do in an unbiased way and find the good and the not so good part of your behavior and just as in a computer programs tweak yourself till you get an acceptable result "no one is perfect and most aren't even close" and go from there. Remember you cannot just fix yourself in one big step but you can easily change yourself in baby steps. Remember you can do almost anything you want to you just have to have realistic and dynamic goals and know YOU are the most important person in your life since you are the the center of your own universe.

Even though I had some serious problems interacting with people, I can't remember a single time that I felt that it was a bad thing. I was kind of overconfident and I think that it helped me out alot. Except for the times when it got me beat up, but I kind of enjoyed that too. Mostly the part leading to me getting beat up, it was kind of a hobby of mine. See who has the balls to back up their claims sort of thing.

By the end of highschool everyone know me, and most of the people there were friendly towards me. I was never afraid of being myself, and no one really should be.

Since we're doing this now, I'll bring the third mention of Asperger syndrome to this topic. I was diagnosed while still in primary school (so under the age of 12) and it was apparently a pretty easy diagnosis. It's the only sort of mental health issue I've been diagnosed with and I made my way through a few different anti-depressants before I stopped taking the things entirely (citalopram was what I was taking when I stopped).

It's funny (not in a humorous way), because a lot of people that I interact with, upon finding out that I have Asperger's, are like "Wait...what?" I've really improved on the social side of it, although now I tend to hang out with "anti-social" kids. Go figure.

Hello all, I'm pretty new here, but what isn't new is my Mental health. I really don't like talking about my issues because it still bothers me after all of these years. I not only suffer from Anxiety, depression and severely emotionally disturbed, but I suffer from a lifelong Learning disability because of this. I haven't been doing well in school for years and that affected me greatly as I gotten older :crying: . Every kid in school would somehow, someway knew I was different than the rest and they bullied me and hurt me physically and mentally because I also can't read, write and do Math beyond 4th grade. Yet, I'm writing to you here even though I tend to go off-topic most of the time, it's just my way of calling for help so please don't judge me because of my issues. All I ask is to please allow me to be your friend :cry: .

O_O"

I've been diagnosed with ADD, psychosis, bipolar, and unipolar depression.

I don't buy into any of it.

The whole slew of psychiatric paradigms floating around society now are quite possibly caused by a formation of views of reality that are not accurate, and mostly based on control and money. Drugs help some, but are for most a band-aid on a bullet wound.

The social conception of reality itself is schizoid and for the most part extremely shallow, and most people, even or especially psychiatrists, do not know what reality is, simply facts about reality which they have formed into an egoistic conception of it based on language. (Actually, this is true for other professions as well) Interaction with possible metaphysical dimensions of reality may cause a duality which they may form a part of, which may be the basis for much psychiatric illness. If you can understand what I'm speaking of, and can figure out what such a dualism is caused by, you may be able to solve much of your own psychiatric illness. The ambiguity of what I just said may have something to do with it.

Last edited:
The whole slew of psychiatric paradigms floating around society now are quite possibly caused by a formation of views of reality that are not accurate, and mostly based on control and money. Drugs help some, but are for most a band-aid on a bullet wound.

I do believe that sometimes people have issues they themselves can't deal with, though at the same time it's true that these people are far less numerous than the kids and other people who get diagnosed just because someone was a little too keen on selling some medicine.

Interaction with possible metaphysical dimensions of reality may cause a duality which they may form a part of, which may be the basis for much psychiatric illness.

If I read this right it means that the person is overloaded by many opposing viewpoints and unable to differentiate. As in when your young they say the bible says do or don't do this, also your parents tell/show you other ways to act, fiction "santa, fairytails" and non fiction "poverty, hate, lies, ect", school, real news PBS, BBC and fake FOX, advertisements, your inner voice, your friends viewpoints.

All these views are true, lies, or biased for many reasons and the mind has trouble differentiating them. It's like an endless loop that if not corrected by finding the truth will cause the person no end of problems.

Back
Top Bottom