Help with my shitty cell phone

Rattlehead

Okay, can anyone help me with this?

I have a Moto Q smartphone, and for some odd reason, it won't charge...at all. The original wall charger I used (which came with my old RAZR) finally gave up the ghost, so I decided to try to charge it via a USB connection to my computer, which according to the manual, is supposed to work. I hooked it up (after installing Microsoft ActiveSync, which was required). Nope, it didn't charge.

Next, I tried plugging it in to my portable iPod charger, which is basically a standard-size USB slot that plugs into the wall. I was sure that it'd work, seeing as how I'd had to use it to charge my RAZR one time. Again, it didn't work.

Finally, I decided to "borrow" my dad's Blackberry's charger. Well, it works...sort of. According to the info in the "Power Information" screen, the battery's not charging, contrary to the "Charging" icon displayed in the main menu. At least I got it to turn on, which is farther than I've previously been able to get.

So basically, I'm having to leave it on the charger in order to use it, which sorta defeats the purpose of calling it a "mobile phone". The battery has only been charged a few times, so I know that it's not developed a "memory". According to several forums I've visited, it's not an isolated incident. Additionally, I've not been able to find a fix yet.

Does anyone know what I should do to correct this?

purchase a new charger? o_O
your phone may require a specific voltage of charger.
and the reason it wont charge on your pc is because it needs to be on to recognize usb charging.

Last edited:
purchase a new charger? o_O
your phone may require a specific voltage of charger.

I would also add that you ought to be careful if you're using a charger with a different voltage than your phone is meant to use. Go too high and you're liable to damage something, I would think that lower would at least not have that risk though.

I would also add that you ought to be careful if you're using a charger with a different voltage than your phone is meant to use. Go too high and you're liable to damage something, I would think that lower would at least not have that risk though.
That reminds me. We have three Nokia mobile phones in this house. They're all different models with slightly different chargers, but any charger will fit any of the phones. The problem is, they're all of different voltages! My mum's charger is 3.3V, my dad's charger is 5.2V, and my charger is 5.7V.

Who the hell came up with with that sort of idea?

That reminds me. We have three Nokia mobile phones in this house. They're all different models with slightly different chargers, but any charger will fit any of the phones. The problem is, they're all of different voltages! My mum's charger is 3.3V, my dad's charger is 5.2V, and my charger is 5.7V.

Who the hell came up with with that sort of idea?

That is horrid design. It's bad enough that most cell phone brands take different sorts of chargers (with unique plugs) but they can't even get it the same within the brand?

Yeah, but you'd expect the two chargers (the one for my phone, and the one for my dad's Blackberry) to have similar power output, since they're both basic USB plugs. What sucks the most is that our house is without Internet right now, so I've been having to use my cell to surf the web for the past few days, which is balls. As for telling my dad about it being screwed up, he knows; It's his old phone, after all. That's one of the reasons that he gave it to me,'cuz it was pissing him off too much. I went to what seems to be the only store in Bentonville (Wal-Mart), and...those chargers are goddamn expensive. $18 for a generic one. Sure, that may not sound like a lot to some of you, but when you're an unemployed 17-year-old, trying to make it through your last year of high school alive...it's a lot of money. Eh, screw it. I'm calling Motorola tech support later today. I'm sleepy right now, so...yeah. G'night.

I=?

Yeah, but you'd expect the two chargers (the one for my phone, and the one for my dad's Blackberry) to have similar power output, since they're both basic USB plugs.

I wouldn't expect any serious difference in voltage (about 5v), but do the transformers blocks have stamped on them different mA limits? The current requirements of USB devices can actually vary. (100 mA is a standard USB unit load, but some devices draw multiple unit loads).

I'm going to guess he has Verizon, as All Motorola Q phones I've seen are CDMA.
In that case, No. He doesn't use a SIM card.

I would suggest checking for a firmware update? sometimes Phones come with these bugs (especially Motorola) but they always update the phone to squash these bugs.

Also, it's not an issue with the way you charge. ALL Motorola phones use mini-USB, and for the most part, always have. When you plug it into said "ipod charger", it should work just fine. The phone only takes the power it needs to charge, which never exceeds the max rating over USB. This is true with the motorola phones I've worked with. I currently own a MotoKRZR, and proudly, as modding the phone has made me happy and gave some life into it to prevent me from upgrading to the obvious better phones. I charge my phone everywhere too,Off my computer, off my PS3, even off of my cable box (which ironically, is also Motorola branded)

When you charge your phone off the computer, it should just... charge. I ignore any of the popups that say "INSTALL SOFTWARE FOR THE LULZ" and it just... starts charging.

Back
Top Bottom