Disabling emoticons

Lillymon

Continuing the subject of emoticons, it would be handy if we could disable them for the purposes of select posts. As it is, it seems certain strings automatically get converted to emoticons, and there's no way to stop this from happening. I recently ran into this when posting a changelog in Submit Emulation News which contained the following:

* Upped the number of Render Plugins again, to 48. Please don't ask for
any more, there isn't, and probably never will be, anything like 48
different plugins that are actually worth bothering with ;)

The emoticon at the end was text in the original and I would have preferred it to be text in the quote as well, but the board software gives me no way to make that happen. Is there a plan to fix this?

Aren't they disabled simply by marking in the posting options "Disable smilies in text"?
You mean for the purpose of posting them like these :) ;) , right?

Well then I retract the feature request, but have two new requests.

#1: Can someone tell me where the hell this option actually is? The smilies page and gutzsant have both referred to such an option, but I'm looking at the posting options right now and can see no such thing. Even a Firefox text search can't find anything.

#2: Once I've been given directions, can we look into making it more obvious or put up a notice about this option? I'm a fucking moderator here and I had no idea this option even existed until now!

Do a full reply (not the quick reply) and look under the text boxes at the "Additional Options" section and you should see it.

Feel free to analyse every pixel. Does yours look this? Am I being an idiot and missing something obvious?

Feel free to analyse every pixel. Does yours look this? Am I being an idiot and missing something obvious?

o_O

I'm not sure what's going on here, it shows right up for me.

*edit*
Ok, I'm checking board options to see if there is perhaps a reason for this, but in the meantime I use Firefox 3.0.5...what browser do you use?

The option simply does not appear for me. I've checked, and it's not even present in the code, there's just a line with six tabs (like the two above) but no code where I presume it should be. Disabling Adblock Plus has no effect, NoScript has the site whitelisted, and there's nothing running in Stylish. So where's the option gone?

Edit: Firefox 3.0.5 here as well.

The option simply does not appear for me. I've checked, and it's not even present in the code, there's just a line with six tabs (like the two above) but no code where I presume it should be. Disabling Adblock Plus has no effect, NoScript has the site whitelisted, and there's nothing running in Stylish. So where's the option gone?

Edit: Firefox 3.0.5 here as well.

Hm...that's what I'm looking to find out. I haven't found any options pertaining to it yet in my control panel, but I'm still looking.

*edit*
Oh, and actually, I also have Adblock Plus and NoScript installed here, so they couldn't be the issue.

Are you using the basic text editor?

In the CP options editing there's an option at the bottom to change the complexity of the text editing mode.

Also if we're desperate--this'll bypass censor filters the same--there's just like separating the characters referencing the smiley pixel maps with BB code.

Yep, Iconoclast is right. You are using the basic editor. In your CP, in "Edit Options", under "Miscellaneous Options", you will see three options: Basic Editor, Standard Editor and Enhaced Interface. Simply change to Standard Editor and that option will be available. You can actually see what options are enabled in the basic editor. Check the bottom left part of this image:

Those are the default options. I have no idea how to change them in basic mode, nor how to change the defaults. Considering that this forum uses an old version of vBulletin, perhaps when the software is updated, these options will be more easily changed. That might be something that only Edman could change, however.

Last edited:
:)

Got it. Still seems weird that option only appears with the extra options. Nothing about the basic editor stops you from posting emoticons, it just removes the selection panel for them. Maybe it will be fixed or easier to fix in vB 3.8.

Back
Top Bottom