Is ROMs will be available only for money?

QkiZ

Is ROMs will be available only for money? I wanted to download the Legends of Valour on the Amiga and I see only a white background or an error while downloading the ROM.

Pay no attention to the roms subdomain here. It's been dead for a while. Also, there are no ROM requests here. You will just have to use google.

I found a page with similar ROM files on the network: (nope)

Last edited by a moderator:
My honest advice is to stop trying to look for a traditional ROM site. They all seem to be dead or dying these days. Increasing bandwidth has made it more and more viable to just download huge ROM sets with BitTorrent instead, resulting in the rise of the private torrent site and the obsolescence of the traditional ROM site. Underground Gamer and bitGAMER are my two sites of choice, but I don't have any invites, so I'm afraid you'll get no further help from me.

Note: If you're using (or thinking of using) BitComet or BitLord, don't. They're banned from many private torrent sites. µTorrent is widely recommended and works pretty well, but Deluge remains my big recommendation.

I know that better download the entire set of ROM than play with single files. But at this time I needed was just one game.
At the torrents: I know µTorrent but I use Ubuntu Linux and on it Transmission program.

I know that better download the entire set of ROM than play with single files. But at this time I needed was just one game.
Yeah, I've been in that situation too, but downloaded an entire GoodSNES set because it was actually easier than trying to find a site where I could download a single ROM. The ESA's doing a brilliant job of stopping video game piracy, don't you think?

At the torrents: I know µTorrent but I use Ubuntu Linux and on it Transmission program.
Transmission should be good. I personally use KTorrent myself, but I've ended up looking at rTorrent since my use of torrents is so massive. Still, if you ever end up thinking Transmission is too basic, Deluge is the one to go for.

Why's that ? What are the big differences between the two ?
I generally recommend Deluge because it's GPLed (we'll likely never see the source code to µTorrent), available for multiple platforms (µTorrent is available for Windows, with a Mac OS X version in beta, and no Linux version planned), and I don't really trust BitTorrent Inc. It really seems to me that µTorrent, along with Vuze (nee Azureus) have turning from 'file sharing' applications to 'content delivery' applications, and I don't like the feeling of not being wanted. The developers of Deluge, KTorrent, and rTorrent don't really give a shit what you do as long as you share any modifications to the program, and I like that.

Lillymon said:
Transmission is too basic
ok is it basic but what could one ask for more from the program to downloading torrents. it simply, don't eat a lot of computer resources. like µTorrent - it's basic too.

Lillymon said:
if you ever end up thinking Transmission is too basic
ok is it basic but what could one ask for more from the program to downloading torrents. it simply, don't eat a lot of computer resources. like µTorrent - it's basic too.
Modified post to have less quote mining.

You may think Transmission is fine as it is. If so, stay with it. I've never actually tried it, so I don't have much of an opinion on it. But it seems a lot like Mainline used to be like, and I thought that was a bit basic for my tastes.

It should also be noted that there is a difference between 'small' and 'basic'. Vuze uses much more resources than µTorrent, but they have about the same amount of features and similar usability. µTorrent is small, but neither is basic.

functional differences

Transmission should be good. I personally use KTorrent myself, but I've ended up looking at rTorrent since my use of torrents is so massive. Still, if you ever end up thinking Transmission is too basic, Deluge is the one to go for.

I've been using μTorrent; for a while (after switching from Azureus -- which I liked in terms of features, but which took up more memory and processing time). What sort of differences are there in terms of functionality and resource use between μTorrent; and ones like rTorrent and Deluge?

side note: Numeric character references are allowed, but character entity references are not allowed on vBulletin? Weird and annoying...
μ μ
♣ ♣

I've been using μTorrent; for a while (after switching from Azureus -- which I liked in terms of features, but which took up more memory and processing time). What sort of differences are there in terms of functionality and resource use between μTorrent; and ones like rTorrent and Deluge?
Not a clue actually. The list of clients I've used on a regular basis is: BitTorrent (Mainline, pre-µTorrent purchase), BitTornado, Azureus (pre-Vuze), and KTorrent. I'm thinking about rTorrent partly because KTorrent leaks memory like a motherfucker, and I can run rTorrent in screen, meaning I don't have to have X11 loaded to keep seeding.

I'd imagine the difference on a halfway modern PC (i.e. made within the last five years or so) to be minimal unless you absolutely need all of your PC's clock cycles (and if you do, shut the damn client down!).

side note: Numeric character references are allowed, but character entity references are not allowed on vBulletin? Weird and annoying...
μ μ
♣ ♣
Underground Gamer has a wiki page that helped me out here. Turns on my British keyboard using Kubuntu Linux, Alt Gr + M = µ. Sort of makes sense as a capital µ (micro) is M (mega), the latter apparently being very similar to, but distinct from, M.

Which Linux using Lillymon :?:
Kubuntu 8.04 at the moment. Unfortunately, I've managed to somehow mess up sound and networking here, so neither is working properly. I'm waiting until 9.04 now, when I should hopefully be able to do a clean wipe and upgrade, and get a properly working system.

Yeah, I'm using Intrepid on the other PC here. Upgrading (and then performing a load of system updates) managed to fix both printing and a resolution problem, and gave full hardware acceleration at last. Rather frustrating that I fixed that and fucked up this by doing exactly the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom