School Project help

Rattlehead

So, I'm doing a project for school and decided to poll on the forums. I've gotta ask eight questions about a topic related to U.S. government, and then take the results and break them up into samples based on different factors (they're listed at the end). For each question, even though I'd much rather not restrict your answers, I have to (for the sake of clear interpretation). The answers are listed right below each question, in parenthesis and seperated by commas. Here's the questions:

1. Do you think that the government is doing enough to try to fix the economy?
(Yes, No, I'm not sure)

2. Do you think that, even though AIG blew some bailout money on fancy vacations, the government should approve of another bailout?
(It's a necessary move, It might be worth it, Waste of money)

3. What about another economic stimulus package? Should another one be approved?
(Yes, Either way is fine, People should be self-sufficient)

4. Should the government approve of a bailout for the automotive industry?
(Yes, Only if the auto industry works to improve alternative fuel technologies, The industry needs to take care of itself)

5. Do you feel like the recent drops in gas prices are temporary?
(No, Yes, I'm not sure)

6. Is a surge in fuel demand, and a subsequent gas price spike inevitable?
(No, Unlikely but possible, Yes)

7. Do you feel that when Obama takes office, the economy will stabilize?
(It will improve, It will stabilize, It will only get worse)

8. Overall, what's your current view of the country's economic state, both righ now and in the future?
(Optimistic, Uncertain, Pessimistic)

Okay, now for the personal info I'll need...it's nothing big. I need your age, nationality, and gender.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

You think the US economy doesn't affect every other country?

... Holy shit. The world owns your massive debt. When the US fucks up, everyone feels it: hard. Whether it is through trade or weakening forex reserves, this makes markets go apeshit, which trickles down to hurt all the little people.

(Yes, No, I'm not sure)

No, I think the Bush administration is planning to leave most of this burden on Obama. Obama certainly appears as if he's going to put a reasonable amount of resources into the problem, but who knows how it will work out.

2. Do you think that, even though AIG blew some bailout money on fancy vacations, the government should approve of another bailout?

It might be worth it. That's a very weighted question, though -- the real question is whether these bailouts are worthwhile to begin with. The fiscal conservatives are charging that these companies have been mismanaged and shouldn't be receiving handouts for their poor behavior, but unfortunately the companies aren't the only ones suffering. I think one of the most important things the government has to do right now is try to keep people confident in our economic future. If that means bailing out critical companies, then so be it, I'll take the tax hike.

3. What about another economic stimulus package? Should another one be approved?

Yes.

(Yes, Only if the auto industry works to improve alternative fuel technologies, The industry needs to take care of itself)

Not sure. I'm leaning towards no, simply because I don't think this will address the root of our economic problems. When a company's failure doesn't mean the breakdown of our country's infrastructure, we should probably let capitalism's "survival of the fittest" play itself out.

(No, Yes, I'm not sure)

Yes, when the world economy stabilizes, people will be less paranoid and demand will increase.

Ditto.

Stability would be a huge improvement. I'll take the option that isn't there -- the economy will remain unstable for the short term, but not get much worse.

8. Overall, what's your current view of the country's economic state, both righ now and in the future?

Uncertain. I think these things will work themselves out eventually, but I can't say I'm not nervous about going on the job market next year.

Okay, now for the personal info I'll need...it's nothing big. I need your age, nationality, and gender.

28, USA, male

You think the US economy doesn't affect every other country?

... Holy shit. The world owns your massive debt. When the US fucks up, everyone feels it: hard. Whether it is through trade or weakening forex reserves, this makes markets go apeshit, which trickles down to hurt all the little people.

This is irrelevant to the topic. Stay on the thread topic. (hint: It's the thread title.)

No, I think the Bush administration is planning to leave most of this burden on Obama. Obama certainly appears as if he's going to put a reasonable amount of resources into the problem, but who knows how it will work out.

Thanks for helping me out...no, seriously.

(Yes, No, I'm not sure)

No, and for basically the same reasons as Space.

It might be worth it. There really needs to be some kind of stipulations in this bailout though. They shouldn't be able to spend this money on that sort thing. Our government needs to...I don't know..."step in and man up" as far as that goes. :p

I say yes...I know such a thing would give me more breathing room, and I'm sure many others would feel better in that respect too if it goes through.

Not sure, leading to no. I think much of the reason they are having problems right now is their fault...perhaps if they'd been less shortsighted and started working on better cars (ie better efficiency and not more horsepower) sooner, they'd not be in this mess.

(No, Yes, I'm not sure)
Oh hell yes they are. Now, I work at a gas station (don't laugh...I get paid pretty damn well to do almost nothing since things are pretty much automated, I'm encouraged to bring a book), and I feel that people are still cutting back on gas, but reason states that eventually people will feel more comfortable, consume more fuel, and cause the price to bounce back up, at least some.

Yes. I guess I kind of covered that above.

Improve. I don't know that it'll stabilize, but I think it will improve. He's got a huge job ahead of him.

Uncertain. It's kind of hard for me to say at this point which way things are going.

26, USA, Male

Back
Top Bottom