Can't believe it's been over 20 years

Zophar

Original Founder
Good evening, all!

Haven't been on in a while, but with the 20th anniversary of NESticle upon us, I thought I'd pop in and say hi.

What's everyone been up to?

Hey,
good to see you're still alive!

Been doing quite well myself, good job, baby on the way, etc, etc.

A couple of months ago got a sudden urge to do something, so I re-did the music section. People seem to like it.

Hi Zophar.

It is good that you came to say "hi". I just update the emulation news on the main site when I can. I also connected the news RSS to Twitter, Facebook and Google+.

Regards

Unfortunately I've become more of a lurker than anything since my son was born. Amazing that that was over two and a half years ago.

Yeah, you did a nice job with it! I did notice though that certain iPhone gaming music apps which link to zophar.net/music (PSXmusic app comes to mind) rely on the non-zipped format now no longer work as they don't recognize .zip. Just an interesting tidbit... check out the app store and you'll see zophar.net figures in prominently.

With that said... good work keeping the music alive! I use it all the time myself, ironically! :)

Hey,
good to see you're still alive!

Been doing quite well myself, good job, baby on the way, etc, etc.

A couple of months ago got a sudden urge to do something, so I re-did the music section. People seem to like it.

Yeah, you did a nice job with it! I did notice though that certain iPhone gaming music apps which link to zophar.net/music (PSXmusic app comes to mind) rely on the non-zipped format now no longer work as they don't recognize .zip. Just an interesting tidbit... check out the app store and you'll see zophar.net figures in prominently.

With that said... good work keeping the music alive! I use it all the time myself, ironically! :)

Well, I went ahead and set up a script that re-parses the emulated downloads for playstation. I got another complaint from somebody that something doesn't work, so maybe there was an error in the original script. It has to re-generate about 52GB of zip files, so it'll all be up by tomorrow most likely.

Another thing to keep in mind, the Playstation section now contains all music ripped from playstation games, as it were in the original game. That means its not just PSF files, but also XA files, and lots of others. There are actually 28 different file extensions, and only 4 are PSF related (psf, minipsf, psf2, psflib). I would say over half the playstation section actually isn't PSFs. This is why in order to make to formats work on a web page, I decided to convert them to MP3.

As for files being zipped, they have always been zipped, either with zip or 7z. Its really impossible otherwise, because unlike NSFs, there are usually lots of PSF files per game.

Hi Zophar. I still clean up the Admin CP every now and then. Like Montie, been more of a lurker since I've been taking care of my little princess myself and I got a job. Still making youtube gaming videos with my sisters though.

Appreciate all your hard work! One of my favorite parts about this site was always our focus on gaming music, and I'm glad it's still a huge focus!

Seeing as I have to be the second most noticeable person on these forums I thought it was pertinent to comment. -waits for "Who the fuck are you?"-

I'm good and glad to see you alive and well. Idk if you remember me but I used to be a staffer under your command.

Everything is good lifewise. I'm just sad that ZD which was once the Emulation go-to website, is now a vg music archive with bi-monthly emulation "news" and updates.

Well, the problem is that the emulation scene is pretty quiet, and few people are really interested in it. Everybody just goes to emuparadise or coolrom, and downloads the emulator along with the ROM. Now that most ROM/ISO sites are over a decade old the whole "OMG its illegal" thing is kinda redundant.

If you don't believe me, you can check out google trends:
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=nes emulator

The music section now gets about 2,5x more pageviews than emulators. The hacks/utilities sections are really just as popular as the emulators, so I think in the future development of the site will go in that direction.

Well, the problem is that the emulation scene is pretty quiet, and few people are really interested in it.

It doesn't help that the major sites in the emulation and hacking "scene" are elitists that do everything they can to dissuade people from doing anything more than "super smb haxor TAS 133t number infinity+1", "i fixed a one pixel bug", "i can haz different font in final fantazy" or working on "obscure emulator that nobody but the people on my forum use".

good to see people are still alive though, even if it took months for me to notice. :)

Good evening, all!

Haven't been on in a while, but with the 20th anniversary of NESticle upon us, I thought I'd pop in and say hi.

What's everyone been up to?

I guess I'm a few months late to the party, and I'm sorry I missed it :(

Thanks, Zophar, for creating one of my favorite sites; the place where I first learned about video game emulation, IRC, ROM hacking, and plenty of other things. Zophar.net was one of the major inspirations for GameHacking.org, and we will always support Zophar.net.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom