Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 08-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
puduhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
I think that probably had a lot more to do with all of the people calling those sponsors and complaining than it did with an online petition.
I think you're right.

Quote:
I suppose we should probably start a separate thread for health care debate. I'm all in favor of reform, but when I found out that Obama wants to make it mandatory for all Americans to have health insurance, I became a strong opponent of his plan. I've repeatedly refused health insurance when it was available, even once when I wouldn't have to pay for it.
The reason I took it there is because its the big issue right now. That's what needs to happen this term. Somehow, even when Dems had the majority last time, the resistance still won out.

As for some of the particulars of this version, I cant say i'm over-joyed. I am hoping for America to have socialized health care some day, like the U.K. or Canada. I'm not happy that car insurance is mandated either (haven't had an accident in 17 years of driving) but they'll suspend my license if I don't. We have to accept that, but health care is much more important than somebody's car getting fixed. I bet the buy-in to the government plan will be comparable to the costs of many people's car insurance (another racket for another rant). I can only hope this reform will be the foot in the door for a much better version.

Quote:
Oddly enough, you managed to post a Glenn Beck quote that I actually agree with. Of course, I can't state my beliefs on 911 without being accused of trolling (despite being able to offer detailed reasoning for my beliefs) so I'll save that for another thread as well.
Hehe I can't state my beliefs about 9-11 without being called into question either. The point was to stretch an illustration out of Mr. Beck's general regard for the public. A public which, I believe, continues to outnumber the Republican base. That's the relevant issue. He's out of touch. They are out of touch. Yelling louder doesn't make your vote count double.

Sponsors of the program are going to have to look at whether or not it is too cost prohibitive to essentially endorse a field captain for the fringe Right. Maybe insurance lobbyists can buy up all the advertising.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll always have Exten--z__e.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by puduhead View Post
I think you're right.
Hehe I can't state my beliefs about 9-11 without being called into question either. The point was to stretch an illustration out of Mr. Beck's general regard for the public. A public which, I believe, continues to outnumber the Republican base. That's the relevant issue. He's out of touch. They are out of touch. Yelling louder doesn't make your vote count double.
That's something that angers me about the whole thing. I don't really watch Fox News, but a guy at my work does, so inevitably when he's on the clock it ends up sitting on Fox News on the TV in the break room at some point, and they just seem to love their broad, sweeping generalizations about the public at large (maybe not quite what you meant, but even so...).

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Read what Pudu wrote about Fox and disinformation. Fox won't go against the RNC no matter if proven wrong. They are a mouthpiece and from personal experience with my own family they brainwash people by repeating bullshit without evidence so much their audience believes whatever they say without even thinking about it.
Fox News may share a lot of opinions with the Republican party (I presume that's what you meant by RNC) but I don't think they'd hesitate to go against them if it suited them. There's been a huge debate over who the mouthpiece of the Republican party is and a lot of Republicans aren't happy that Rush Limbaugh is being seen as the defacto spokesman for the party.

Quote:
You know like when every redneck/moron in existance instantly hated all Iranians when Hulk Hogan took on the Iron Sheik.
God damn, I thought *I* was old. On a completely unrelated note, anyone who hasn't heard anything about the Iron Sheik since the 80s absolutely needs to go look up his commentaries and "shoot interviews" on YouTube. The man is absolutely batshit insane. Seriously, he makes Glenn Beck look like Barak Obama in comparison.

Quote:
/Palin/cough "dumb bitch with a fucken hot ass and tits and that's about it"
And it's comments like this that generally convince me that liberal Democrats are no better than Fox News.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #14
shawn

Quote:
And it's comments like this that generally convince me that liberal Democrats are no better than Fox News.
Ahhh, there you are totally wrong. I am against many of the basics most liberals are for. I think immigration must stop and all illegals should leave now or be forced to leave immediately without trial, seeya. I am absolutely antiunion especially when it comes to government unions including the police and teachers. Unions are just a way of screwing the taxpayer without recourse unless you're willing to close the schools and that's illegal to not educate a child, catch22. I am pro abortion and pro death penalty, hell if your caught molesting a child by a cop in the act I think shooting them right there is fine with me. I am so not liberal though I will at times agree with them on things like alternative energy and such but not to the point of decimating an economy if the technology is not up to the job yet.

I'm not a liberal but I am so not a republican since in the past 20 years they have gone so far to the right it's insane. If they'd get off this god crap, abortions, and quit spending money like it's going out of style on the military they might have half a chance at being a party a normal person could vote for but for now it seems they're trying for the all but forgotten moral majority which once was maybe 40% plus of this country is now well under even half of that thanks to nutjobs blowing up abortion clinics, wars because of religious beliefs, and being buddy buddy with bankers and wallstreet firms that you deregulate, they make incredible amounts of money and then we bail them out. We did after fail economics of the Bush Sr and Jr terms when the banks failed both times.

Independent and proud of it.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #15
shawn

OK sue me, I got bored and decided to have some photoshop fun. You know you were all thinking this at one time or another.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nazifoxnews.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	97  
Old 08-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #16
shawn

Reaper man suggested I submit my logo over at Faux News section of E.D. so here it is. Scroll to the bottom of the first chapter or down about 4-5 pages and it's at the end of the group of thumbnail pics.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Faux_News
Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #17
jdev

Quote:
If you sign the petition without reading the article, doesn't that put you on the same level as the people at Fox News?

I didn't even realize Glenn Beck was on Fox News now, though it's certainly appropriate. Last time I actually watched him, he was on CNBC and I only know that because he was on before The Big Idea with Donnie Deutsch which is an excellent show.
I think it was phrased a little strangely. The text of the petition is right next to the place where you "sign" it.

Also, while Fox News may be entitled to their opinions, they aren't entitled to make up their facts, and they have such a history of doing that, I'm surprised they haven't been sued (although, it is notoriously difficult for a public figure to sue for libel or slander, even when it's obvious).
jdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #18
Isildur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
(although, it is notoriously difficult for a public figure to sue for libel or slander, even when it's obvious).
In the U.S., anyway. Britain has sterner defamation laws.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:40 AM   #19
jdev

That's nice, assuming parody finds exception. Don't really think it would apply to Fox News, though. Isn't Murdoch Australian? Can't you guys do something about him? Or is Australia not a part of the Commonwealth anymore?
jdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:51 AM   #20
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
That's nice, assuming parody finds exception. Don't really think it would apply to Fox News, though. Isn't Murdoch Australian? Can't you guys do something about him? Or is Australia not a part of the Commonwealth anymore?
You mean Fox News isn't parody? *deadpan*

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote