PDA

View Full Version : Edge Emulation - what happened?

LupusArgentum
07-28-2008, 04:28 AM
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, or it's already been asked before. I didn't have much luck turning anything up with the search function.

Edge Emulation (http://edgeemu.com) just kinda vanished a while ago without any prior notice. One day they had some updates, the next it was just gone. Now all the url gets you is one of those lame search sites. Does anyone know what happened? Or at least have some idea where I could find out?

Gil-Galad
07-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, or it's already been asked before. I didn't have much luck turning anything up with the search function.

Edge Emulation (http://edgeemu.com) just kinda vanished a while ago without any prior notice. One day they had some updates, the next it was just gone. Now all the url gets you is one of those lame search sites. Does anyone know what happened? Or at least have some idea where I could find out?

Well, if you want to know, here are a couple message board posts. Best luck in wading through the off topic conversation posts.

http://www.emuasylum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41546

http://www.emuasylum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41546&page=3

Apparently the site has been down since around January of this year.

LupusArgentum
07-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Oh, wow... that actually helped a lot, thank you. Looks like it's gone for good. =( At least according to some of those posts. Maybe someone will revive it or something. Some day... >_>

Lillymon
07-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Unlikely, methinks. I was actually offline for the entire month of January, so Edge Emulation was suddenly gone when I returned. Some of the users live on at #kurosroom (on the same network as the now abandoned #edgeemu), but I think the site's gone for good.

But if I could bring one of the dead ROM sites back... it'd actually be Cherryroms. I enjoyed that place much more.

One thing I'm annoyed about though is that while Edge Emulation and Cherryroms have died, EMU-LMAO is still fucking there! The biggest reason why I stopped being a content manager (and wouldn't want to be one again) is that stupid site. I gave my time for free in order to try and gather together emulation news and downloads in one place, and all I get is a load of shit about small mistakes in news posts. No appreciation for the fact that I'm actually posting this without getting anything in return.

The EMU-LMAO terms of service says "if you can't handle the pressures of being subjected to EMU-LMAO opinions and facts you should consider leaving the sk3n3 or not visiting this site period", so that's exactly what I did. I stopped posting entirely because they wouldn't stop giving me shit about it. I know I really shouldn't care, but it really takes the energy out of you when all you seem to get is criticism about something you're doing for free.

Reaper man
07-29-2008, 12:37 AM
EMU-LMAO is still fucking there! The biggest reason why I stopped being a content manager (and wouldn't want to be one again) is that stupid site. I gave my time for free in order to try and gather together emulation news and downloads in one place, and all I get is a load of shit about small mistakes in news posts. No appreciation for the fact that I'm actually posting this without getting anything in return.

Wow... I didn't know that site was still fucking active. O.O

The 9th Sage
07-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Yes, they are. They're just the same as ever though, so though they are amazingly obnoxious at times, they aren't really anything to worry about or take too seriously. It's better to just ignore them.

Umiliphus
07-31-2008, 11:37 PM
I liked the way Edge would group all related roms together in a single 7zip file (the very reason I installed the progam, in fact). It was the quickest way to collect all 7000 retarded Mario hacks. Although it was sort of annoying back when I had the dial-up internet, waiting the extra time for data related to Super Nintendo alternate language editions I couldn't play and didn't want.

Lillymon
08-01-2008, 02:42 AM
I liked the way Edge would group all related roms together in a single 7zip file (the very reason I installed the progam, in fact). It was the quickest way to collect all 7000 retarded Mario hacks. Although it was sort of annoying back when I had the dial-up internet, waiting the extra time for data related to Super Nintendo alternate language editions I couldn't play and didn't want.
I've got a GoodSNES set right here like that, and I don't like it. This is primarily because I use Ark for extraction, and Ark is an idiot when it comes to these archives. It will not extract a single file, or even a group of files from such an archive (it doesn't give an error though, it just doesn't extract anything if I try it). It will only extract all of the files. Since I typically only want to play one, this means a cluttered ROM folder fairly quickly unless I manually delete all but the few I want.

I'm guessing this is a problem with solid archiving, but with the sort of memory my system has, there's more than enough space to extract the files to a temp folder, copy the one I want to where I said to extract, then delete the rest. Seems likely that this is just a bug, though I've never got around to reporting it.

SparroHawc
08-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Lilly, you may want to consider switching to IZArc or 7zip if you use Windows. Both of them are capable of opening an archive in a window and dragging out a single file. Both are completely free, both support an absurd number of archive types, and both add right-click items for Windows Explorer. If you don't use Windows, you might have more success with a command-line tool. :3

The 9th Sage
08-01-2008, 06:52 PM
I happen to like 7zip myself. I used to use WinRar for most stuff, but 7zip has taken over quite handily as far as I'm concerned.

Lillymon
08-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Lilly, you may want to consider switching to IZArc or 7zip if you use Windows.
I don't, I use Linux. There's more than enough choices I can see (PeaZip, File Roller, KGB Archiver) but Ark hasn't quite pissed me off enough to switch. The main problem is that I really hate GTK+, and I frequently have to search long and hard to find utilities that use Qt instead. Ark is the only archiver I've encountered so far that does.