PDA

View Full Version : Recommended graphics card for Playstation?

PetMetroid
11-03-2004, 04:04 AM
What kind of specs should I look for on a graphics card to run Play Station games? (Playstation 2 games?) In other words, for emulation purposes, what kind of graphics card should I be looking for?

<P ID="signature"> Sucking energy from various life forms
...Such as delicious corn, slightly-salted mashed potatoes, and a large juicy steak with a side of A-1 sauce.</P>

Wren
11-03-2004, 04:13 AM
There are currently no PS2 emulators that are worth the download...don't even bother.

For PSX emulation, you'll be fine with anything from a GeForce256 (first generation GeForce) and up.

-Wren

<P ID="signature"></P>

PetMetroid
11-03-2004, 04:20 AM
> There are currently no PS2 emulators that are worth the
> download...don't even bother.

Is anyone even close to getting a working PS2 emulator made?

<P ID="signature"> Sucking energy from various life forms
...Such as delicious corn, slightly-salted mashed potatoes, and a large juicy steak with a side of A-1 sauce.</P>

Wren
11-03-2004, 05:41 AM
Not that I know of. There is supposedly one that can run a couple of specific games, but probably at a horrible speed.

The general rule of thumb for emulation is that the hardware you are using should be at least 10x faster than the system it is emulating. With the PS2's floating point performance being somewhere around 6.2 GFlops and the highest end PC's being around 10-15 GFlops, we aren't even close to having that kind of power. However, once more software is created and optimized for the newer 64-bit processors and the multicore versions hit the shelves, that might change. Don't expect it until a few years down the line though.

-Wren

<P ID="signature"></P>